If I decide to place my child in voluntary housing, who decides to take care of my child – me or the care center? The 26-week period for the maintenance procedure does not begin until after the decision of the procedure and, therefore, the time spent in section 20 of the voluntary accommodation procedure is not taken into account. It simply extends the period during which children are housed and away from their parents. Once a case is pending, parents have the advantage of challenging local authorities` decisions because they know they are subject to judicial review. „These cases illustrate a number of problems related to the use of Section 20: separation of a baby from the mother at birth or shortly after birth, without police protection or judicial decision, if she has not delegated the exercise of her parental responsibility to the local authority or in circumstances where it is doubtful that the delegation was actually voluntary; Keeping a child in a local dwelling after one or both parents have expressed a desire to care for the child, or even formally requested his or her return; and the lack of action, assuming that parents have nothing against housing, when that means that there is no constructive planning for the child`s future. They also illustrate the dilemma facing the local authority: something needs to be done to care for the child, but there are serious doubts about the parent`s ability to effectively delegate the exercise of his or her responsibilities. Similarly, they illustrate the dangers when the local authority acts in the absence of such a delegation or receives them in cases where parents feel that they have little choice. There are none of the safeguards and safeguards available to both the child and the parents who participate in the mandatory procedures provided by law. But if you go unnecessarily to mandatory procedures, if there is still room for partnership, the situation can get worse in a way that makes family reunification more than less difficult. What starts as a short-term agreement can simply cover several months, while local authorities continue assessments at a pace of their choice. When they cannot pay in private, parents very often do not have access to a lawyer during this period, which causes them a real disadvantage in reviewing assessment schedules or the identity of an expert to challenge.

The municipality will attempt to reconcile the placement with the social worker, the parents and the child, unless the child needs safe housing. If you decide to place your child, ACS will give you a signing agreement called a voluntary placement agreement. You have the right to consult a lawyer before the contract is signed. This is very important because you can negotiate certain conditions in the agreement.